Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Content vs. Form -- more on Balentine's book....

Continuing with my reading of Bruce Balentine's book. I am now in the thick of his argument against building "bad humans" and for building "good machines" -- this is articulated explicitly in essays #94-#97 (pp. 265-279).

I've expressed in a previous post my sympathy with the core idea of moving away from the paradigm of building machines that mimic humans and towards a more grounded paradigm where the focus is on helping people solve problems as efficiently as possible.

There are several tensions that have come up in this proposition, though, which I will tackle in the next few posts.

Here is the first: I am not comfortable with the neat dichotomy that Balentine seems to rely on between form and content. He seems to suggest that there is a clean way of slicing off "useless fluff" (my expression) and getting to the heart of the matter that is just as effective as language with "the fluff."

Example: should a system say "thanks" after you give it a piece of information it asked for? From what I can tell, that's a bit of the machine trying to sound human, as far as Balentine is concerned. But in my view, the "thanks" is not "just" an expression of gratitude (which, granted, is primarily a social transaction). It also serves the functional role of alerting you that the system has heard you and that it has accepted your input, and that the interaction was completed successfully.

How about this one: the system is retrieving information from a back-end and things are taking a bit longer than usual, and so it says, "Sorry for the delay. Looks like the system is slow today."

Is that too much anthropomorphism? Too much chit-chatting? I don't think so. It's very useful information: tells me that the system is still working on things and that it is indeed slower than usual. And you know what, I don't mind the fact that the system "realizes" or acknowledges that I don't like waiting. Not that I am fooled into thinking that the machine has feelings. And yet, I like the "sorry" message. It is useful.

More tensions tomorrow...

No comments: